skip to content
  • Get Ready!
  • SELF Loan
  • SELF Refi
  • Minnesota College Savings Plan
Minnesota Office of Higher Education

Home > Paying for College > About Financial Aid > Are You Eligible? > Eligible Non-Citizen Status


Eligible Non-Citizen Status

Eligible Non-Citizen Status decorative image


When applying for federal or state financial aid with the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), you must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or an eligible non-citizen. (Undocumented students can apply for state financial aid using a separate MN Dream Act application.)

You are considered an eligible non-citizen if you meet ONE of the following criteria:

  • You are a U.S. permanent resident with an Alien Registration Card (I-551).
  • You are a conditional permanent resident with an I-551C card.
  • You have an Arrival Departure Record (I-94) from the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) with any of the following designations:
    • refugee
    • asylum granted
    • parolee
    • victim of human trafficking
    • T-Visa holder
    • Cuban-Haitian entrant

Other Resources for International Students

If you do not qualify for state or federal aid, you still may be eligible for aid from alternative sources. Use the following links to explore and research your options:

Many schools award grants to international students. Be sure to check with the schools that interest you to find out if institutional aid is available to you.

For general information about studying in the United States, visit Study in the USA.