decorative banner image

Financial Aid Deadlines

Some deadlines to remember


Your financial form will be analyzed, and the results will be sent to the schools and scholarship agencies that you designate. Again, the sooner you apply the better.

Minnesota State Grants

The deadline for acceptance of State Grant applications is 30 days after the start of the term for your school. The FAFSA must be received by the federal application processing center no later than 30 days after the start of that term. Missing the deadline for one term does not necessarily mean you will not be eligible for the remaining terms of the academic year.

Federal Pell Grants

If you are attending a postsecondary school in 2016-2017, you can apply through June 30, 2017 and still receive a Pell Grant for the enrollment period between July 1, 2016 and June 30, 2017.

Federal Direct Stafford Loans

You can apply for a Federal Direct Stafford Loan any time during the year. There are several different application procedures. Check with the financial aid office at the school the student is attending or plans to attend to learn which procedure it recommends.


If you're a Minnesota student planning to attend school in a neighboring state as a reciprocity student, you can obtain a paper reciprocity application from high school counselors, eligible colleges or universities, or administrative agencies in the states. Better yet, you can apply for reciprocity electronically. The deadline is the last day of the term for which reciprocity is requested. Minnesota residents attending college in South Dakota will have eligibility for reciprocity determined by the campus without having to complete a reciprocity application. The same applies to a Minnesota resident who enrolls at a North Dakota college or university the fall term following high school graduation.

Note: Eligible undocumented students without Social Security Numbers should complete a paper reciprocity application.

Campus-Based Programs

The deadlines for the various financial aid programs sponsored by an institution are established by the individual school's financial aid office. Check with the financial aid office at school you want to attend or currently are attending.