decorative banner image

Is the School Operating Legally in Minnesota?


Most private and out-of-state institutions operating in Minnesota are required to be either registered or licensed by the Office of Higher Education. Licensed and registered institutions offering degrees are required to meet educational and financial standards, protect student records and provide accurate and useful information to prospective and current students.

If you have questions about registration or licensure of private institutions, e-mail the Office of Higher Education at or call (651) 259-3976 or (800) 657-3866.

Minnesota community colleges, technical colleges, state universities and the University of Minnesota are public institutions that are exempt from licensure and registration. Some online and other distance education programs are also exempt. Learn more information about how to evaluate online education.

The following occupational training providers must be licensed by other state agencies
Training Provider Licensing Agency
Barber Schools Minnesota Board of Barber Examiners
(651) 201-2820
Commercial Driving Schools Minnesota Department of Public Safety
(651) 284-2000
Cosmetology Minnesota Board of Cosmetologist Examiners
(651) 201-2742
Flight Schools Minnesota Department of Transportation
(651) 234-7183 or (800) 657-3922
Nursing Assistant Training Minnesota Department of Health
(651) 201-5000 or (888) 345-0823
Real Estate and Insurance Minnesota Department of Commerce
(651) 296-6319 or (800) 657-3978