decorative banner image

Are You Eligible?

What makes you eligible?


In order to qualify for state and federal financial aid, you must meet certain eligibility guidelines:

Distance learners also may be eligible for some forms of financial aid.

If you have any questions about your eligibility to receive state or federal financial aid, contact a financial aid administrator at the institution you are interested in attending, or contact the Office of Higher Education.

Conditions for Receiving Federal Aid

To receive a Federal Pell Grant and/or apply to other federal programs, the student must:

  • Be an U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.

  • Have a high school diploma (includes home schooling) or GED if you were first enrolled in college after July 1, 2012. (Students who were first enrolled in an eligible career pathway program on or after July 1, 2015, may still qualify for a reduced Pell Grant without having a high school diploma or GED.)

  • Be an undergraduate student or applying as an undergraduate for the Pell Grant. Graduate students are eligible for work-study and student loans.

  • Not have already received a Federal Pell Grant for 12 full-time semesters or the equivalent.

  • Either be registered with the Selective Service (for all males born on or after January 1, 1960, who are at least 18 and not currently on active duty in the Armed Forces), or sign a statement of registration status indicating that he is not required to register.

  • Be enrolled in a program leading to a certificate, diploma, or degree at any institution eligible to participate in the Pell Grant Program.

  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress as defined by the grant program.

  • Sign a statement indicating that the student is not in default on a federal loan, and that the financial aid will be used only for educational purposes.

  • Not be convicted for the possession or sale of illegal drugs while receiving federal financial aid.