Executive Order 21-01 Guidance
Effective January 10, 2021, at 11:59 p.m., Executive Order 21‐01 (EO 21‐01) will be in effect with the purpose of reinstalling measured steps towards opening business closed under previous Executive Orders. Under EO 21‐01, the following safety measures are still in place:
- Masks and face coverings required. Executive Order 20‐81, requiring face coverings in certain settings, remains in full force and effect except as modified by this Executive Order.
- At‐risk persons. All persons currently living within the State of Minnesota who are at risk of severe illness from COVID‐19, as defined by Executive Order 20‐55, are strongly urged to stay at home or in their place of residence and follow the provisions of Executive Order 20‐55.
How EO 20‐99 restrictions apply to higher education institutions and students
Higher education institutions may continue to offer in‐person classes or on‐site activities following the updated MDH Guidance for Mitigating COVID‐19 at Higher Education Institutions.
- Keep in place your institutions COVID‐19 Preparedness Plan following guidance found at Stay Safe Guidance for All Businesses.
- As appropriate, follow other COVID‐19 industry guidance and requirements. See Stay Safe Guidance.
- Implement policies that adhere to the Governor's Executive Order 20‐81, which states that people in Minnesota will be required to wear a face covering in all public indoor spaces and businesses.
- Keep in place plans that address returning to campus, cleaning and disinfection protocols, testing needs, contact tracing, isolation, and quarantine as appropriate.
- Provide accommodations for “high risk” and vulnerable populations. See People Who Are at Increased Risk for Severe Illness.
- Certify and sign. Institutional leadership responsible for implementing the plan must sign and certify it, affirming their commitment to implement it.
- Make the plan available to the public. Higher education institutions must make their plans available according to applicable guidance.
- Train staff and instructors. Higher education institutions must ensure that staff and instructors are trained on the contents their plans according to applicable guidance.
Visit Minnesota COVID‐19 Response for the latest information and resources available and the COVID‐19 webpage for Institutes of Higher Education to learn about the latest recommendations and guidance from the Minnesota Department of Health.