skip to content
  • Get Ready!
  • SELF Loan
  • SELF Refi
  • Minnesota College Savings Plan
Minnesota Office of Higher Education

Home > Preparing for College > Prepare at School > Earn College Credit in High School > Advanced Placement


Advanced Placement

Advanced Placement  decorative image


Advanced Placement (AP) offers more than 30 college-level courses in subject such as English, history, humanities, languages, math, psychology and science.

AP courses are a good deal because:

  • Students may earn both high school and college credit. This can save you time and money when you actually get to college.

  • The course work is college-level. You may do better in college classes later because you'll know what to expect.

  • You take college-level courses in your high school. This gives you a taste of college within the safety of your high school walls. Check if your high school offers AP courses.

Who is eligible to participate?

You must be a high school student, but your school may require a certain academic standing or GPA before you are allowed to participate. Check with your counselor's office or school district.

Who teaches the course?

The class is taught by a regular high school teacher.

Where is the class taught?

The class is held at your high school just like the rest of your classes. Check if your high school offers AP courses.

How much does it cost?

The exam is free for qualified Minnesota students who demonstrate financial need; all other students pay $22-30 per exam.

How do I earn college credit?

You must take a fee-based exam which is graded on a five-point scale. Many colleges award credit for scores of 3 or higher, but some require scores of at least 4.

You may take an AP exam without taking a designated AP course, however, most students take the corresponding course before the exam.

Do all colleges and universities accept these credits?

Acceptance and transfer of credits varies by college, but many do accept credits earned through the program. Others colleges may choose to award advanced placement instead. This allows you to take upper-level courses without taking the introductory, prerequisite courses. Some will allow you to earn both credit and placement. If you're interested in a specific college, be sure to ask admissions about their policy.

For More Information

For more information on how AP courses work at your high school, contact your school counselor or visit College Board, the nationwide administrator of AP courses.

Check if your high school offers AP courses.


Related Pages


Related Links