Specifications for reporting data for the Student Enrollment Record Data Base and Degrees and Other Awards Conferred Data Base
This Manual contains specifications for reporting data to the Office of Higher Education for the state's two student databases, Student Enrollment Record Database (SERDB), and Degrees and Other Awards Conferred maintained by the Office of Higher Education's Research and Program Services division.
The SERDB, established in 1983, contains data on students enrolled in Minnesota private and public postsecondary institutions. The Degrees and Other Awards Conferred Database contains data on degrees and other formal awards (diplomas or certificates) conferred to students upon successful completion of a program of study.
Student Databases Manual
- Postsecondary Institution Numeric Codes Postsecondary Institution Numeric Codes
Minnesota institutions that have closed, changed their names, or merged with another institution can be found here.
- ACT School Codes for Minnesota High Schools
(Appendix E1 and E2).
- Postsecondary institution codes located in states with Minnesota reciprocity agreements [.txt]
- Minnesota county codes and county where city is located [.txt]
- Frequently Asked Questions About Student Enrollment Data
- Quick Guide to Student Enrollment Codes
- Data Upload Instructions
Search for CIP
You will need the CIP to report student's fields of study and program completions for the enrollment and degrees conferred database.
CIP was originally developed by the U.S. Department of Education's National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) in 1980, with revisions occurring in 1985, 1990, 2000 and 2010. The Office of Higher Education uses the CIP as it is the national taxonomic standard on academic program titles.
If you wish to submit data on a spreadsheet, you may develop your own template or download this Microsoft Excel spreadsheet template.
The spreadsheet template contains five tabs:
- a sample of an enrollment record
- instructions for enrollment record layout
- quick guide to codes
- a sample of a degree conferred record
- instructions for degrees and other awards conferred layout