Specifications for reporting data for the Student Enrollment Record Data Base and Degrees and Other Awards Conferred Data Base
This Manual contains specifications for reporting data to the Office of Higher Education for the state's two student databases, Student Enrollment Record Database (SERDB), and Degrees and Other Awards Conferred maintained by the Office of Higher Education's Research and Program Services division.
The SERDB, established in 1983, contains data on students enrolled in Minnesota private and public postsecondary institutions. The Degrees and Other Awards Conferred Database contains data on degrees and other formal awards (diplomas or certificates) conferred to students upon successful completion of a program of study.
Proposed changes to enrollment and awards conferred collection
Meeting Handouts March 2, 2016
Meeting Handouts February 10, 2016
- Student Databases Manual, Academic Year 2016-2017
- Data Collection Changes Meeting 3
- Student Enrollment Codes
Meeting Handouts January 13, 2016
Meeting Handouts December 16, 2015
- Student Enrollment & Degrees Conferred Data Collection: OHE Proposal for Changes
- Enrollment Awards Data Changes
Student Databases Manual
- Frequently Asked Questions About Student Enrollment Data
- Data Upload Instructions
- Complete Student Databases Manual Student Databases Manual
- Quick Guide to Student Enrollment Codes
- Postsecondary Institution Numeric Codes
(Appendix D). Minnesota institutions that have closed, changed their names, or merged with another institution can be found here.
- ACT School Codes for Minnesota High Schools
(Appendix E1 and E2).
- Postsecondary institution codes located in states with Minnesota reciprocity agreements [.txt]
- Minnesota county codes and county where city is located [.txt]
If you wish to submit data on a spreadsheet, you may develop your own template or download this Microsoft Excel spreadsheet template.
The spreadsheet template contains five tabs:
- a sample of an enrollment record
- instructions for enrollment record layout
- quick guide to codes
- a sample of a degree conferred record
- instructions for degrees and other awards conferred layout
Search for CIP
You will need the CIP to report student's fields of study and program completions for the enrollment and degrees conferred database.
CIP was originally developed by the U.S. Department of Education's National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) in 1980, with revisions occurring in 1985, 1990, 2000 and 2010. The Office of Higher Education uses the CIP as it is the national taxonomic standard on academic program titles.
- Accessing the Microsoft Excel file(s) on this page may require you to
download the free Excel Viewer from Microsoft
- Accessing the Microsoft Powerpoint file(s) on this page may require you to
download the free PowerPoint Viewer from Microsoft
- Accessing the Microsoft Word file(s) on this page may require you to
download the free Word Viewer from Microsoft