An example of a student's expenses.
Shared Responsibility: Example 1
State University is a public four-year institution. In 2012-2013, the state recognizes that the average price of attending a state university is $14,984 a year. That includes tuition and fees of $7,658 plus $7,326 for living and miscellaneous costs.
Example 1: State University, Dependent Student
|Tuition & Fees||$7,658|
|Living & Misc. Allowance||7,326|
The student is expected to contribute 46 percent of the yearly cost. The remaining 54 percent of the yearly cost comes from the contribution of the student's parents, and from federal and state grants.
If the student comes from a family that is not expected to make any financial contribution to the education as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), then the student would be eligible for federal and state grants totaling $8,093, the 54 percent share not provided by the student.
Source of Funds:
|Federal Pell Grant||5,550|
If the student comes from a family that is expected to make a $1,000 contribution as determined by the FAFSA, the student would be eligible for federal and state grants totaling $7,131 (the 54 percent share less the parent's $960 contribution).
Source of Funds:
|Federal Pell Grant||4,600|
The student may receive additional grant assistance from private or institutional sources that are under the control of the campus financial aid administrator. Receipt of these additional grants does not affect the size of the State Grant or the Federal Pell Grant. This additional assistance can be used to help meet the student's share of the responsibility.