The Paying for College program and videos are packed with concrete advice from local experts -- they help demystify how Minnesota families can finance a four-year college education. Topics include:
- Higher education is a worthwhile investment.
- Don't let "sticker prices" stop you from considering your options.
- Choices made before and during college impact expenses.
- There are a variety of ways to cover cost of college.
- Start saving what you can.
- Manage your borrowing.
- The importance of applying for financial aid and steps to follow.
A co-production of TPT's Minnesota Productions & Partnerships, Paying for College is co-sponsored by the Minnesota Office of Higher Education and the Minnesota Private College Fund.
When released in September, Paying for College will include a core 30-minute program that will air on Minnesota public television stations plus several shorter videos: one addressing the needs of "first-generation" families, one on financing a private nonprofit higher education and three prepared in Hmong, Somali and Spanish. All components will be shared online and be available on a DVD.
View the full program:
Paying for College: First in the Family - How families with students who will be the first in their family to attend college make it happen
Paying for College in Spanish - How Minnesota Latino families make it happen
Paying for College in Hmong - How Minnesota Hmong families make it happen
Paying for College in Somali - How Minnesota Somali families make it happen
Paying for Private College - How Minnesota families with students in private non-profit colleges make it happen
The core program will air on Minnesota public television stations statewide, through their Minnesota Channel offerings:
- Friday October 18, 2013 at 5:30 AM
- Friday October 18, 2013 at 11:30 AM
- Friday October 18, 2013 at 5:30 PM
- Friday October 18, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Request a DVD
- College Readiness Consortium
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- FAFSA4caster (for early estimates)
- Fastweb -- free scholarship search site
- Minnesota 529 College Savings Plan
- Minnesota Private College Council (information about MN private nonprofit member colleges, links to campus net price calculators)
- FinAid the Smart Student Guide to Financial Aid
- Useful higher education websites
A comprehensivie list of useful higher education websites from the Minnesota Office of Higher Education.
- Financial aid glossary
Extensive list of financial aid terms, edited by the Minnesota Office of Higher Education.
- Paying for College discussion questions
A list of questions to be used in discussing the Paying for College program.
- Financial aid websites and tools
A list of the tools mentioned in the Paying for College program along with links to their websites.
- Prezi - Paying for College
A short Prezi presentation with the First in the Family video
- Prezi - Paying for College in Spanish
A short Prezi presentation in Spanish with the Paying for College in Spanish video