Program Description and Appropriations History
The Child Care Grant program provides financial assistance to students who have children 12 and under, are not receiving assistance under the Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP), and who demonstrate financial need for grants, to help pay for child care while pursuing a postsecondary education.
Funds are allocated to eligible postsecondary institutions based on the number of students who report children on the financial aid application. Eligible institutions include all public colleges and universities, private baccalaureate degree-granting institutions and non-profit vocational technical schools granting associate degrees.
- be U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizen
- meet state residency requirements
- not be recipients of MFIP
- be enrolled at least half-time (defined in statute for this program as six credits per term)
- not have earned a baccalaureate degree or been enrolled on a full-time basis for eight semesters, 12 quarters, or the equivalent
- not be in default of any educational loan
- be making satisfactory progress
- not be receiving tuition reciprocity benefits from another state, and
- be pursuing a nonsectarian program or course of study that applies to an undergraduate degree, diploma or certificate.
The award is based upon the income of the applicant and spouse, the number in the applicant's family, the number of eligible children within the family who need child care, and the applicant's level of enrollment.
The maximum award amount is $2,800 per eligible child per academic year. The amount of the award cannot exceed 40 hours of child care per week per eligible child. The institution may increase the amount shown on the maximum award chart by 10 percent for infant care in certain counties.
2012-2013 Postsecondary Child Care Grant Training
- Child Care Grant Training [ .ppt 4 MB ]
Child Care Grant Documents & Instructions
- Manual: Postsecondary Child Care Grant Program
- Child Care Grant Rules
- Child Care Grant Statutes
- 2013-2014 Application & Instructions
- 2012-2013 Application & Instructions
- 2012-2013 Award Calculation Spreadsheet
- 2013-2014 Award Notice
- 2012-2013 Award Notice
- 2011-2012 Child Care Grant Training [ .ppt ]
- 2013-2014 Denial Notice
- 2012-2013 Denial Notice
- 2013-2014 Infant Care Adjustment
- 2012-2013 Infant Care Adjustment
- 2013-2014 Conflicting Information Form
- 2012-2013 Conflicting Information Form
- 2013-2014 Provider Verification Form
- 2012-2013 Maximum Award Chart
- Provider Verification Template
- Child Care Grant poster - no eligibility requirements
- Child Care Grant poster - general eligibility requirements
- Child Care Grant poster - detailed eligibility requirements