decorative banner image

South Dakota


Who's Eligible for Tuition Reciprocity Benefits?

If you're a Minnesota resident (including eligible undocumented students), you're eligible for reciprocity benefits if you attend any South Dakota public college or university. If you're a South Dakota resident, you're eligible if you attend any Minnesota public college or university. Students enrolled in programs that charge the same tuition rate to all students regardless of state of residence are not covered under any of the reciprocity agreements.

What Rate Do You Pay?

If you're an undergraduate student from Minnesota and attending:

  • South Dakota State University, the University of South Dakota, or another South Dakota public four-year school, your tuition and fees will be about the same as if you were attending a similar Minnesota school.
  • South Dakota technical schools in Watertown, Mitchell, Sioux Falls, or Rapid City, you'll pay the South Dakota resident tuition and fee rate (contact the school directly for residency and tuition rates).

If you're a professional program student from Minnesota and attending:

  • University of South Dakota, you'll pay no more than 150 percent of the South Dakota resident tuition and fee rate.

If you're a South Dakota student attending the University of Minnesota, Minnesota State Universities, or a Minnesota technical college, you'll pay the Minnesota resident tuition rate. South Dakota residents attending a Minnesota community college or certain Minnesota State Universities pay a rate slightly higher than the resident tuition rate.

For a complete listing of the price of attendance at all eligible Minnesota schools, as well as all reciprocity schools in North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wisconsin, visit our price chart.

Reciprocity Tuition Rates Are Reviewed Yearly

To determine the exact tuition rate, students should directly contact the school(s) they are interested in attending.