Minnesota Rural Veterinarian Loan Repayment Program
If you have questions about this program, please contact the staff member listed on this page via email. If a staff member is not listed, please email email@example.com and provide a detailed description of your question.
The Minnesota Rural Veterinarian Loan Repayment Program was established to provide student loan repayment assistance to eligible veterinarians serving in designated rural areas in Minnesota.
Who is Eligible to Apply?
To qualify for this program, an applicant must:
- Be a current student or graduate of the Doctorate of Veterinary Medicine program at the College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Minnesota;
- Current Student: must be in the final year of the program and meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress..
- Graduate: must have graduated within 3 years of the application date.
- Have outstanding qualified educational loan debt borrowed for educational costs related to the undergraduate or graduate education of the veterinarian;
- Agree to serve five years in an eligible position as a licensed veterinarian;
- Service must be in a designated rural area in Minnesota defined as locations outside the counties of Anoka, Carver, Dakota, Hennepin, Ramsey, Scott and Washington, excluding the cities of Duluth, Mankato, Moorhead, Rochester and St. Cloud;
- Service must be full-time (at least 30 hours per week for at least 45 weeks per year); and
- Service must be at least 50% involved with the care of food animals.
What is the Application Process?Apply Online
. The 2020 application deadline is January 3rd, 2020 at 8 am. Applications are submitted to the Office of Higher Education through a process facilitated by the College of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Minnesota. Preference is given to applicants closest to completing their training, including students and practicing veterinarians.
What if You are Selected for an Award?
An applicant selected to receive an award must sign a contract agreeing to serve five years in a designated rural area in Minnesota and at least 50 percent of the veterinarians service must involve the care of food animals.
How Much Money Can You Get?
Annual awards are up to $15,000 for a total of up to $75,000 over 5 years.
Who do I Contact with Questions?
Students should contact the Office of Higher Education at (800) 657-3866 (option 2)